The GBCC offers an annual Community Volunteer Scholarship to graduating high-school students seeking college or trade-school funds. The scholarship is based on the student's volunteer service in our community while keeping up their grades.
The GOAL is to embody the importance of being involved and supporting our community.
- Total awards to be distributed is $2,500. Number of awards will be determined by the Greater Barryville Chamber of Commerce.
- All applicants must be members of the Eldred Central School.
- Application forms may be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Greater Barryville Chamber of Commerce, Scholarship Committee, PO Box 1, Barryville, NY 12719.
- Applicants must document their volunteer service. Acceptable documentation should include the population served, the number of hours volunteered, a description of the service provided, and the signature of a member of the organization served (or a representative of the population that benefited from the service).
- Service to civic groups, government agencies, private not-for-profits, religious institutions, and schools or school organizations is among the types of volunteer activities the GBCC will consider.
- Documentation must include contact information (name, address, phone number) for someone in the organization who can confirm the details of the volunteer service.
- All applicants must provide documentation of at least 25 hours of community service to the area served by the GBCC. Hours spent in service to the GBCC Pumpkinfest, Holiday Tree Lighting, planting of Rt. 97 flower pots, or other Chamber sponsored events—may be used to meet this requirement. The selection committee will place the greatest emphasis on the most recent volunteer service, and consider all community service during the applicants high school experience.
- All applicants must provide official school transcripts documenting a 3.0 cumulative average through December of their senior year.
- All applications must submit an essay providing a reflection of their volunteer experience.
- The scholarship committee will calculate each applicant’s score on the basis of 70% for volunteer service and the balance for academic performance and an essay on the applicant’s volunteer experience.
- The GBCC will recognize all applicants and announce the winner of the scholarship at the GBCC Winter Warm-Up. The scholarship will be presented at the successful applicant’s graduation ceremony.
- Selected will be awarded a check made out to the selected 2- or 4-year institution of higher learning to which the applicant has been accepted and plans to attend.
Your name could be listed.
Amador Z. Laput